Thursday, May 8, 2014

Book Review: One More Thing - Stories and Other Stories


One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories by B.J. Novak is a rather bizarre collection of tales.  Novak is known as a comedian, an actor from The Office, and as a writer. The stories in this book are short (one is two sentences long) and quirky. Newly arrived in Heaven, a man is overwhelmed with the options of fun and things to do. Thus he puts off seeing his beloved grandmother. In another story, a vengeance-minded hare is obsessed with a rematch with the tortoise. And in another story we learn why the stock market is sometimes just down.  

From the cover blurb: Finding inspiration in questions from the nature of perfection to the icing on carrot cake, One More Thing encompasses love, fear, hope, ambition, and the inner stirring for the one elusive element that just might make a person complete.  

I laughed out loud at times, and then skimmed sometimes. That’s the nice thing about short stories – you can make snap judgments. All in all, I liked B.J. Novak’s humor and cleverness. He certainly views the world in a skewed vein. If you are looking for something different to read, I recommend One More Thing.

2 comments:

  1. Love those 'laugh out loud' movies, books, TV shows and blogs. I'll watch for this one to watch when it comes out On Demand.

    Enjoyed your comment today on EASY READER and my Blog.
    Sue at CollectInTexas Gal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't often read short story collections, but when I do, it's like eating a bagful of potato chips. Tasty, but I gorge myself on them.

    ReplyDelete