Monday, February 10, 2020

Book Review - Born a Crime by Trevor Noah

I like Trevor Noah. He's funny. He's smart. He's quick. And he's had quite a life. Born a Crime chronicles his life as a boy in South Africa under apartheid. A white mother. A black father. Trevor and his light skin mix is not allowed. It's an amazing story and a salute/ love letter to his remarkable mother.

I laughed out loud at his description of his grandmother saying, "I can't whip that boy. He turns all sorts of colors - bruises are purple, yellow, green."  His mother was saying, "If Trevor is bad with all of the other cousins, he should get the same punishment." His South African family didn't know what to do with this fair skinned black child. It's funny and yet interesting too, and sad considering the time period.

Trevor Noah's youth bordered on crime. He was smart but not aiming for his true potential. Fortunately, his mother recognized his skills,  his fast talking wit, and more. 

p.  243 You forget the reason I ride you so hard. Everything I have ever done I've done from a place of love. If I don't punish you, the world will punish you even worse. When I beat you, I'm trying to save you. When they (police) beat you, they're trying to kill you. 

Born a Crime by Trevor Noah is an amazing coming of age tale from a world many of us know nothing about. He truly beat the odds, and his book demonstrates that he appreciates and can reflect on his success now. It's a quick funny read, but also poignant, and eye-opening too. Worthy stuff.

11 comments:

  1. This was a most amazing review to read Joanne. A pity there is much predudice in the world about various aspects of life. He truly is one remarkable man.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. indeed. This book makes you think about others lives

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a fascinating and moving book. Thanks for sharing your views of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really is and he has a nice sense of humor about how ridiculous apartheid was

      Delete
  3. Seldom hear about books of this topic, with these mixed race characters, and in South Africa. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, never knew it had it so rough. Had to laugh at the all sorts of colors retort from his grandmother. Sounds like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trevor Noah is my number one crush. (Psst, please don't tell Bernie).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't tell, but I might have to fight you for him.

      Delete
  6. Hi Joanne - wanted to get here when I had a chance to reply in a bit more detail. Many thanks - I've ordered it ... a good read for me, and other friends I've got connected to times in southern Africa ... so pleased it sounds fun ...

    You've the advantage of seeing and hearing him on tv and radio - which I haven't heard over here ...

    I look forward to getting it ... and reading it - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete