Monday, February 17, 2020

Book Review - Call Me By Your Name

As I read Call Me By Your Name by Andre Aciman, I pictured the very pretty Timothee Chalamet and Armie Hammer who are the leads in the movie version. This helped me get through the book. Somehow I think I was not the target audience. There were parts I found a tad uncomfortable sexually.

But, much of the writing was quite good and some of the descriptions were gorgeous. I kept reading, but I can't recommend this book to you. It was a bit too graphic for me (and I keep an open mind on plenty).

Back blurb - this is the story of a sudden and powerful romance that blossoms between an adolescent boy and a summer guest at his parents' cliffside mansion on the Italian Riviera. Each is unprepared for the consequences of their attraction, when during the restless summer weeks, unrelenting currents of passion, obsession, fascination, and desire intensify and test the charged ground between them. 

Whoa, nelly. This book was a tad much, even for me. And now, there's a sequel. Holy cow - at least the two leads are now men, and not a youth and a man.

That's my review.  Whew!


8 comments:

  1. A good honest review Joanne.

    Have a good week.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, good to know. I would guess this one would be a bit much for me as well. I didn't see the movie and will probably pass on both it and the book. Thanks for sharing your view of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad to give a public service announcement.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, sounds like one I'd pass on. Not sure I could read such parts either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but good writing for the right target audience.

      Delete
  4. Haha. Whoa nelly indeed. Sorry you wasted your precious brain power and time on this one, Joanne.
    But I enjoyed the review as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to find some good. Even if it gives me mild heart palpitations

      Delete