Monday, May 11, 2020

Book Review - The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton

Well, this was a test of my reading skills and I failed.

I bought The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton at Half Price Books, back when we could actually touch and buy books in public.  Hey - Man Booker Prize, A NY Times Notable book, accolades from everywhere.  What could go wrong?

Yawn.

It must be me - I just must not be literate enough to recognize genius. This book was a snore.
I managed to make it through (I admit a lot of skimming). BUT holy crap, nothing really happened.

There were a lot of well written details. It did seem like an old fashioned Victorian tale. However, I did not give a crap about any characters. Not a whit. 

I've been to New Zealand - that gave me an interest. Oops. Did not care.

Oh well.  Let me save you time and money.  I'm shallow. I'm dense. I give this a ............don't waste your time and energy.

You are welcome.


14 comments:

  1. Sorry you bought a book you didn't find interesting. but it takes all sorts I suppose.

    Take care.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep - and I review the good or bad. This just wasn't for me

      Delete
  2. Thank you. This has been lying around for yonks - hubs got it after it won the Booker. I didn't manage to get beyond the first 50 pages, dunno if he did...Thank you for the reassurance that I'm not alone! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow - and now I feel better. I consider you a very literary person. If you couldn't move on, then heck, I feel okay about myself again

      Delete
  3. I've never understood how some of those books won awards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. some of the writing was quite lovely, but the story line was so slow and nothing really happened in a zillion pages.

      Delete
  4. Hi Joanne - I wondered if the NZ connections put you off - but obviously not - it was the story line. Interesting to know about though ... all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The NZ thing had me interested. I loved visiting New Zealand - gorgeous country, great people, interesting history. The book - yawn

      Delete
  5. Gotta love those ones where nothing ever happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some with nothing that are okay. This was not one of them.

      Delete
  6. Yikes. Thanks for the warning. I'm sure it's not just you.
    The cover is intriguing. Too bad the book is only good for insomniacs.

    Keep a smile, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I feel better with these comments. We are all readers, but sometimes you just have to say NO.

      Delete
  7. Sorry this book was a less than thrilling experience for you. Think of it this way: reading this one will make you appreciate the next really good book that you read all the more. Thanks for sparing us the time and effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. indeed. and I keep persevering - I think, they won a huge award, surely something awesome should happen in this book. Alas. Not so much

      Delete