Friday, May 5, 2023

Finally Friday - West Side Story


 I do my part to support local businesses, museums, and any of the arts. Last Thursday, I enjoyed a local theater production of West Side Story at The Artisan in Hurst. 

Originally conceived by Jerome Robbins, music by Leonard Bernstein, and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, West Side Story is a challenge. I have to say the young cast was up to the task. The Artisan is a theater in the round with a small up close audience. We were treated to decent dancing and acting. As for the singing - Maria's voice soared. Anita's voice was rich. And this skinny young man who played Tony had a pure tone that cut to the heart. So kudos all around. 

It's a Romeo and Juliet theme story set in 1957 New York City. A tale of the "old" immigrants (Poland, Italy, etc) versus the "new" immigrants (Puerto Ricans). Rivalry, hate, and love. 

Classic songs - the Jets, Something's Coming, Maria, America, Tonight, Somewhere

I was glad I ventured out on a Thursday evening and filled my soul with the arts. 

2 comments:

  1. Always good to fill up on the arts as frequently as possible. Keeps the soul in good trim. Glad that you had a great evening. Hope you and everyone around you are safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you take advantage of arts. It broadens the bandwidth of the soul. We are fine- a bit hot for May!

      Delete