Monday, September 16, 2024

Monday Essays - I've Tried Being Nice by Ann Leary

I like a book of humorous essays and I've Tried  Being Nice  by Ann Leary cracked me up. I  felt as if we could be friends having  a drink and she's regaling  me  with her day.

cover blurb  The bedlam  of  home  bat  invasions, an obsession  with online personality tests, ballroom  dance  lessons with her  actor  husband (Denis Leary - I like his snark too)- all are fodder for her wit.  Red carpet fiascos and other  observations from  the  sidelines of fame are very funny. 

Her love for her family, dogs, and more gives her a ton of material.  Laugh,  cry, cringe, and totally identify with her observations.  This was a very fun library read. 
 

5 comments:

  1. Denis Leary's wife? Bet she has some good stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. And very normal sounding stuff. You can just hear the banter.

      Delete
  2. When I read reviews like this it makes me feel I should read more than just fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is fun non-fiction. They aren’t school books with a test at the end. I like memoirs and essays. Generally good for a laugh or insight into motivations. Could help your fictional character writing.

      Delete
    2. 🤣 I read some occasionally, it's just not my go-to. I'm sure I skipped the test parts in school anyway...

      Delete