Monday, September 30, 2024

Monday Moments - The Love of Books


This non-fiction little book The Secret Lives of  Booksellers and Librarians compiled by James Patterson and Matt Eversmann is a love letter  to books and reading.  Booksellers and librarians were interviewed and the stories from all over the U.S. are interesting  and compelling.  They are detectives, treasure hunters, advocates, and visionaries. It's a world that has the magic of rainbows and unicorns, but it's also a business. The book business. (cover blurb)
Read about folks who took the plunge and love what they do in their world of books. The tales are heartwarming, humorous, and hopeful. 


I love this quote by our former first lady, Laura Bush, who advocated for reading.  

You must also  read about Suzette Baker, former head librarian in Llano County, Texas. Her story is told in the above compilation. She was told  to pull books from shelves  and  refused.  She writes about a very avid minority of people in power who are promoting  censorship and she's concerned.  

I'm concerned. Yes, parents should know what their kid is reading. It's like television. You may control your own self and your family,  but don't keep me from reading certain  books that your don't like or think is appropriate (example - To  Kill  a Mockingbird by Harper Lee,  The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison, etc).  

Sigh!
 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Joanne - oh I so agree ... let me be educated and decide what I want to read ... I've just read your recommendation The Underground Library - in an underground tunnel in WW2 London ... an easy informative read. I've another one that I'd love everyone to read ... highly, highly recommended 'The Book Collectors or Daraya' - so so informative ... talk about a despot in Syria ... dreadful ... but full of hope too - despite the sadness. I've another here on Sussex writers ... they'll appear on my blog sometime! I might just be getting back into it again ...

    Hope the shoulder is well on its way back to full health ... take care - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing well here on PT.
      Glad you enjoyed Underground Library. I will take your suggestion and look for it. Just so much variety out there. And we are finally into some cooler weather to read outdoors. Perfect combo. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Such a fun and meaningful collection. Glad to know about this, Joanne. Thank you.
    Keep Texas a tad blue too. Yay for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Parents do need to be involved. And also not worry that their ten-year-old is reading adult material. So I see both sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. And that’s the point- the responsible adult monitors their kid. Each kid is different. I read stuff that was over my head, but could ask questions. It is tricky.

      Delete