Thursday, July 2, 2015

Movie Review: Aloha


Aloha can mean hello or goodbye in Hawaii.  Or, in the case of this movie title, it can mean snoozefest. There is no real point to this movie. I sat there watching it, a few weeks ago, and not caring about what was happening to the people. The only good thing is the setting – Hawaii is absolutely beautiful and the colors pop on screen. I wish I could say that was true for the acting. Bradley Cooper looks good, crinkles his baby blues, and meanders through the film. Rachel McAdams is pretty and she tries to look annoyed at Bradley. Emma Stone (whom I normally like a lot) is pretty and is trying way too hard in this film to be believable as a tough taskmaster who’s in charge of managing Bradley.  

The general gist of the film is how Bradley Cooper, as a defense contractor, learns about a secret satellite launch and has to foil the scheme. But the film is billed as a romantic comedy. Thus there are mixed messages and none of the plot works. The flirtation is not steamy. The evil doing is not that tense. Even more disappointing is that Aloha was directed by Cameron Crowe. What was he thinking?
 
I’m guessing the film crew surfed a lot and drank Mai Tais. They could write off a nice trip to Hawaii and hope for success in DVD and streaming. All I shall say is aloha………..goodbye, don’t waste your time.

10 comments:

  1. All I know about this film is the casting controversy - I never even got as far as figuring out the plot. I shall take your advice and avoid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there are too many good movies to watch. I'm considering this a public service announcement

      Delete
  2. i also heard that the movie was a disappointment. It's always a shame when that happens to great cast.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep - the reviews I read were lukewarm, so I had mild expectations.

      Delete
  3. Given that your reviews are fair and kind, I take it this movie was horrible. Thanks for the warning. It's frustrating to think about how much goes into producing a movie, and the product stinks. Those were some strong mai tais.

    Happy 4th of July weekend, Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, I'm leaving message #3 to say that message #2 was a mistake. Happy Fourth and holiday weekend, again. Smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, I'm leaving message #3 to say that message #2 was a mistake. Happy Fourth and holiday weekend, again. Smiles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. keep checking in Robyn - makes it look like I have lots of readers. Happy 4th to you!

      Delete
  7. I hadn't heard of this one, but it sounds like one I can easily skip. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete