Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Movie Review: Terminator Genisys


Terminator: Genisys is a rehash of the previous Terminator movies. The ones directed by James Cameron are genius. This new flick is entertaining, but there’s no real reason for its existence. Nonetheless, Arnold is badass and amusing. As he’s aged he sounds more and looks more like a machine every day. C’mon – he’s perfect for this part. It’s difficult to believe that the original casting was O.J.Simpson. That’s crazy.

So, there’s a lot of time travel to stop Skynet from existing, to save Sarah Connor, to save Kyle Reese, to have past young Arnold fight current old Arnold. Those effects are pretty darn tricky. Then you also have the melting metal machines who take on various personages and then reconfigures themselves. Again – I never get tired of those effects. I’m not going to discuss the convoluted plot, Either you buy into it, or you don’t. The main reason to see Terminator: Genisys is to enjoy the mayhem of the future, to relish special effects, and to hear Arnold say, “I’ll be back.” His line delivery is so perfect, and he has a sense of humor. You have to be in on the joke.  

Jai Courtney as Kyle Reese is fine for his role. Emilia Clark as Sarah Connor is decent. Again, watch the original for the originality and grittiness of good filmmaking. Watch Genisys to be amused. It’s summer, it’s hot, you don’t want to think too much. Buy the popcorn and let your brain rest. Root for Arnold. Look around you at all the people messing with their phones prior to the movie. Have machines taken over the world? Think about it.  

4 comments:

  1. I've heard it was rather convoluted. I'll wait for NetFlix and remember to leave my brain at the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we paid $5 each, so the big screen was worth it for matinee.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen a Terminator movie. But I guess this review tells me enough. Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a big Terminator fan, but my husband will probably like it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete