Friday, December 11, 2015

Movie Review Madness: Creed

The original Rocky was a sleeper movie – low budget, heartwarming story, and a lovable lunk mumbling “Yo, Adrian.” It won the Oscar for Best Picture back in 1977. Then the sequels arrived, each more outlandish than the next and the series became an excessive joke. Now, after a long time, Creed arrives on screen and it harks back to the original – a heartwarming story, a lovable lunk mumbles “Yo Adrian”, and there’s a kid with a chip on his shoulder who manages to prove to himself that he’s worthy of his name and he’s a fighter.

Michael B. Jordan is Adonis “Donny” Johnson, illegitimate son of Apollo Creed – the champion boxer back in the day. Donny fights his way through foster care until Apollo’s second wife takes him in and provides a home long after Apollo died. Donny never knew his father. Fast forward to today when Donny is winning fights in Mexico, quits his respectable financial job, moves to Philadelphia, and seeks out the Italian Stallion himself – Rocky Balboa. Rocky (Sylvester Stallone) keeps a low profile these days running a restaurant. He has no intention of taking on a boxer to train. But something about this kid, the history, and the chance for redemption for Apollo.

Now the focus of the movie is on training – running through the streets of Philly (which looks awesome in this film), the physical and mental strain, the slow build-up to a huge match against Ricky “Pretty Boy” Conlan – a tough boy from Liverpool with a grand reach, fast feet, and a faster lip. Who has the staying power?  Adonis Creed who must acknowledge his name and the demons that come with it?  Or Rocky, old guy, who gets a medical diagnosis that ain’t pretty? They have to fight together.

Creed is a boxing movie and yes it culminates in the Big Fight. But it’s way more than that. It’s about esteem, family, history, guts, determination , roots, plus heart and soul. Michael B. Jordan is excellent – he’s physically ripped, but he’s more than that. His face reflects his feelings and you want to root for him. Sly Stallone is great too – he’s always been underrated, and he shows a deft touch as a mentor. Philly shines, and yes, you want to run up those Art Museum steps with the Rocky theme wafting over the city. Step into the ring and soar.



9 comments:

  1. Woo HOO! You reviewed another movie I want to see! In general, I've always liked feel-good sports movies, and the original "Rocky" is definitely one of my favorites. It sounds like "Creed" fits my favorite "mold" to a tee. (Um, movie mold, that is. I'm not a fan of the green fuzzy kind...)

    Have a super weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep you will like the heart of the movie and there's enough action for your husband. Win Win

      Delete
  2. This is the first I'm hearing about this movie. I didn't even know it was out. (I'm so behind on things, sometimes.) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joanne - it does resonate as a great film to see - especially with the 'esteem, family, history, determination, heart and soul ... etc comments' you mention - I enjoy those sorts too ... I'll remember it and perhaps see it sometime ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of boxing, but that's the side part of the flick

      Delete
  4. Wow. I have such a good memory about seeing the first Rocky. You have inspired me now to see Creed, which I wasn't considering at all before now, because I didn't want to see "Rocky 27" or whatever number they eventually got to. Now I'll think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think since you liked original Rocky, you will not be disappointed. Would I steer you wrong?? And I paid $4.75 for matinee - I would have been okay with evening prices.......that's high praise from me.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad that you gave this movie such a great review! Now I really want to see it with my boys. Michael B Jordan was on the soap All My Children, and even at a young age you could tell he had talent.

    Thanks for your in-depth review, Joanne! I'm so glad this is more like the first Rocky which was in a class of its own.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete