Monday, November 27, 2017

Movie Review Madness - Murder on the Orient Express

Murder on the Orient Express is a lush remake of an Agatha Christie tale. If you’ve never read her work, I suggest you march to the library and check out one of her books. She was a prolific talented writer with some very defined characters, good plot twists, and that old English humor twinkle in the eye.  So, for this film, there’s a large gathering of seemingly random characters all with a backstory, a reason to be guilty, and a dead body on a train. Whodunit?

I can’t write any more about the plot. You need to go see this movie and watch the twists and turns evolve. Kenneth Brannaugh directed and stars as Hercules Poirot – the most brilliant detective in the world. He’s an extremely fussy, fanatic man with an eye for detail and a mustache that deserves its own Oscar.  Everyone else has their quirks and suspicions. Dame Judi Dench, Michelle Pfeiffer, Johnny Depp, Josh Gad, Derek Jacobi, Penelope Cruz, and more are along for this ride. The scenery is spectacular, the filming works well – at times you feel the confinement and rocking of the train.


Murder on the Orient Express harks back to an old timey flick in a good way. Punch your ticket and go All Aboard for an entertaining two hours. 

22 comments:

  1. I definitely want to see this one. I love Kenneth Branaugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always liked him too. Talented director and actor

      Delete
  2. Glad you liked it so much. I've been debating whether to see it since I really like the original. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great one to see indeed at ones feed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have her entire books, I saw an older version of "Murder On The Orient Express" and really enjoyed it.
    Loved the review of the remake.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Boy...I'm ahead of your review on this one. Saw it at the MOVIE THEATER several weeks ago. Really enjoyed it, and thought it an excellent remake of the original. I will watch it again when it hits Demand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never saw or read this classic. I'm really intrigued now, and what a cast. Okay, I shall be on the lookout for Murder on the Orient Express. Great review, Joanne.
    Thank you.
    Have a relaxing week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, you have to kick back in time, have a cup of tea with a biscuit, and read Agatha Christie. She was a clever hoot

      Delete
  7. This is one I hope to see. It sounds great! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the cinematography! And the star cast was spectacular too. Am a huge fan of Christie - grew up reading her books. Branagh's take on Poirot is somewhat different from the original though, that was my only peeve with the film :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, but he had that twinkle in the eye. I liked that

      Delete
  9. I'm looking forward to this as it got good reviews in the UK. And having had a surprise trip on the Orient Express for a big birthday, I am even more interested.
    My wife tried (and failed) to secretly pack a tuxedo so she had to tell me two days before we left. Rolls Royces were delivering VIPs straight onto the platform at London's Victoria Station!
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s consanguineous Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's fabulous that you had a ride on that train. Wow. That is quite a surprise! I think you'll like the movie - the scenery is gorgeous (as you well know)

      Delete
    2. We got the Brighton Belle to Dover then the Orient Express to Venice from Calais, France. Woke up the next morning travelling alongside Lake Zurich. Each carriage has a wood-burning stove for hot water!

      Delete
  10. Good review, lady. I especially like your line about his mustache deserving its own Oscar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Joanne - I have to see this ... saw a trailer before I left the UK - and it looks just different and so interesting. Love the Christie books - I grew up on them! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete