Monday, August 20, 2018

Movie Review - Crazy Rich Asians


Crazy Rich Asians met all expectations based on previews. Great cast, good story, some depth, and gorgeous backdrop. It’s a rich film to see on the big screen. Huge thumbs up.  It’s directed by Jon M. Chu adapted from Kevin Kwan’s novel. It’s a swoon worthy romance. Funny, poignant, and entertaining.  Constance Wu is Rachel Chu – Chinese American economics professor from Queens who grew up with a single mom. She’s achieved the American dream. Dating Nick Young (handsome Henry Golding) after a year, he wants her to join him in a trip to Singapore to meet the family. He’s a best man in a wedding. Should be a fun trip….

Turns out Nick comes from mega wealth – a Singapore dynasty. Rachel is the interloper – an American who has no clue. The film covers the visit. When Nick’s mother Eleanor (the fantastic Michelle Yeoh) meets Rachel,  the icy reception is hard to miss. But Nick is so in love, he’s sure that Rachel will charm his grandmother, mother, and family. Oh dear, that’s sweet but so naïve. There’s a lot more depth to the story – the bachelor and bachelorette parties, the backstabbing Singapore family, the welcoming family, Rachel’s old college friend (and true support), and the on-screen energy between Nick and Rachel.  This film works and you root and cringe as the story plays out. There is a lot more to the story – power, parentage, values, money, and love. Singapore looks gorgeous. The concept of really, really rich is brought to the screen. But money doesn’t always buy happiness or security as we see in some side stories.

The key is Nick and Rachel and they are really good together. Go see Crazy Rich Asians and root for them.  This is such a nice end to summer movie season – a film with culture, conflict, passion, and fun film making.  Aah…young love……..
Jon

14 comments:

  1. So pleased you enjoyed the movie Joanne, it appears to have a great storyline.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw an interview with Constance Wu recently where she was talking about the film. Sounded interesting, but of course not an unbiased opinion. Thanks for confirming it. Money seems to have a set of headaches all its own, btw. Not that I'd know anything about that haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. The rich aren't happier, but they have more money to find "solutions". Wu is excellent in the film. I hope she finds other roles in that crazy industry called film

      Delete
  3. Hi Joanne ... it does sound fun and if it comes here ... I'll go and watch it ... thanks for endorsing what I've already heard about it ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to read this. I hadn't read any reviews. I don't like the title, so I've skipped it. Perhaps I should give it a chance.

    Have a great week, Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. can't judge the book by it's cover. This has plenty of redeeming qualities (and Henry is a hottie!!!)

      Delete
  5. Yay!!! I knew you would let us know about this movie. Sounds great...may even go see it on the BIG screen...based on your review. I must say tho, I agree with Rawknrobyn about the title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand your apprehensions. Trust me - have I ever let you down?

      Delete
  6. Sounds like it packed in everything indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just a fun matinee show. It was nice to not see a movie with crap blowing up

      Delete
  7. I've heard a lot of good things about this one, and it sounds like one I'd really like. Glad to hear it measured up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really appreciate your professional approach.These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete