Monday, August 13, 2018

Movie Review Madness - Eighth Grade


Eighth Grade. Junior High.  Age thirteen.  Any fond memories of junior high?  No??  Yeah, I didn’t think so. I don’t know about you folks, but junior high for me was a mouthful of braces, bad skin, dorky glasses, bad greasy hair, and barely in a bra.  (Too much information, but hey, we’re adults now.)  Writer/director Bo Burnham captures the horror perfectly in the film Eighth Grade. This film is Oscar worthy, and the performance by Elsie Fisher (Kayla) is spot-on perfect.  In ninety minutes, Burnham presents the final week of eighth grade. Kayla is voted Most Quiet much to her chagrin. She’s invited (by the mom) to one of the “cool” girl’s birthday swim party. She comes out in a one piece – slightly chubby – and looks around at all of the girls in two piece bikinis. It’s a slow death moment. (I’ve been there).

Kayla’s a smart girl, cute, and as you watch the movie you know she’s going to be fine. She’ll hit her stride in high school and truly blossom in college. But for now – this week – is filled with the anguish, torture, uncertainty, and naïve hope that is being thirteen. And there’s boys. ‘Nuff said. They are idiots. But there’s the super cute one voted “Best Eyes”, and she wants his attention.

Plus Kayla is being raised by her father (Josh Hamilton) who’s at a loss for how to deal with a kid becoming a woman. He’s used to the adoring little girl. Now he’s got a teen who rolls her eyes, grits her teeth, and stares at her phone. Anything he says is wrong. He’s helpless but cares so much. Fortunately there is a moment in the movie near the end where he says the right thing, has the right amount of silence, listens, and the love of a father/daughter shines through.

Ninety minutes of moments are captured perfectly. Eighth Grade is excellent quiet film making. I chuckled, I squirmed, I re-lived some of the horror, and I was grateful to NOT have grown up in the age of social media.  It’s a cold cruel world at thirteen.  This film is brilliant.


14 comments:

  1. Being the age I am today I still recall my school days, I detested poetry, loved music, and even then a pain in the neck.
    Good review Joanne. Have a good week.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Junior high was a nightmare. We've all had moments like Kayla's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joanne - I'm sure it's faithfully re-produced ... and thanks for the review - not my sort of show ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like an awesome movie. I would love to see it. I haven't seen any ads for it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, it's an artsy little flick but so worth seeing

      Delete
  5. Not having to grow up with social media sure was grand by me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I can't imagine the on line bullying. Ugh

      Delete
  6. Middle school and junior high school is the worst! I can't wait until my kids are finally done with it. (High school these days isn't much better!)

    Thanks for signing up for the blog hop. I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are welcome. And yes, this movie would strike close to home for you

      Delete
  7. My eighth grade memories are definitely cringeworthy. I'm sure I would relate to Kayla's situation. Thanks for the review. Sounds like a great movie.

    ReplyDelete