Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Book Review - Light on Snow by Anita Shreve


 Anita Shreve is a reliable author and Light On Snow  (2004) is a worthy read. This came from a batch of books I bought on a super sale at our local library fundraiser. Definitely kept me engrossed for my dollar investment. 

cover blurb - What makes a family?

Nicky Dillon and her dad moved from New York City after the death of her mother and baby sister. Devastated, Rob Dillon drove until he landed in New Hampshire and found a house a bit out of the way. He's crafting furniture and avoiding life. Nicky, at age twelve, is sad, mad, and curious about growing up. 

During one of their daily walks in the snow, they hear a crying sound and then find an abandoned baby. They rush her to the hospital, chat with police, and Nicky is full of a lot of questions.   When a visitor shows up at their door (after news reports, etc), Nicky latches on this young woman and slowly tries to figure out how she could live with them, get the baby back, and be a "family". 

Life doesn't quite work this way. Shreve deftly weaves a tragedy story, a mystery story, and a life story into one New Hampshire winter week. 

8 comments:

  1. Good review Joanne.
    Hope all is well, hot day here.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. all good. Rain stopped. Hot here too. Leap into summer. Stay well

      Delete
  2. I always struggle to get into Anita Shreve's novels - I might give her another go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand. She has a bit of a formula. I've enjoyed her writing and stories - no major thinking but not brain dead either.

      Delete
  3. Phew. When I saw "Light on Snow" in my sidebar, Joanne, I was afraid it was getting TOO weird in Texas. Glad it's just a tragic story you were referencing. Haha.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!!! You never know with wacky TX. Generally I preface with book review - or I'd call it End Of Days if necessary....!!!

      Delete
  4. Hi Joanne - fascinating to read how the story comes about - and great you were able to pick it up at the library fundraiser. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was good. The writer is not as issue oriented as Jodi Piccoult, but does cover the topic of abandoning a baby and the issues surrounding it quite well. I love the library book sale - always good finds.

      Delete