Friday, June 4, 2021

Friday Fun Read - Where I Come From by Rick Bragg


 Finally Friday and you need a frothy, light read. Where I Come From (Stories from the Deep South) by Rick Bragg is a hoot. I've reviewed some of his work before, and I laughed my way through this whole collection. 

As a damn Yankee gal from PA, I've been in Texas (the south) long enough to appreciate his terminology.  

Cover blurb - From his love of Tupperware to the decline of country music, from the legacy of Harper Lee to the metamorphosis of the pickup truck, as well as the best way to kill fire ants, the unbridled excess of Fat Tuesday, and why any self-respecting Southern man worth his salt should carry a good knife (that's Ray - plenty to choose from in our house), Rick Bragg's stories crackle with tenderness, wit, and deep affection. 

These are short essays full of humor and descriptions of great food. After his short dissertation on New Orleans, I was ready to climb in my car and seek out his po-boys, Creole sauces, and gumbo.  

It's Friday - fry up something, pour a lot of white gravy on top of it, savor the drippings, and kick back with Where I Come From. Read with an honorary drawl and sip sweet tea.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds most interesting Joanne,
    Had my second shot yesterday (Friday) so hoping to get out soon.
    Microsoft have got a new set up which I can't fathom out hence my lack of posts.
    Hope all is well.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. congrats on your final shot. Sure hope you feel fine. And then you can be more assured as you venture out. Sorry about computer difficulties - I don't know why they have to change stuff. Ugh.
      Take care. Know you are missed!

      Delete
  2. Hi Joanne - it's funny isn't it ... I've never fancied having 'gravy' poured over my food - I'm happy with gravy, but separately ... they did the same in SA, and I know as you mention in USA and Canada ... still I hope you've enjoyed your Saturday concoction?! The book sounds a fun light read ... especially with the recipes in it ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's easy breezy - perfect for patio reading. And I actually prefer to dip into gravy, not slathered everywhere. It's the South

    ReplyDelete