Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Wednesday Whimsy - Movie Review on The French Dispatch


 Wacky, whimsical.  It's Wednesday, folks and I've got a director, Wes Anderson, film to review.  The French Dispatch is weird (in a good way). The man has a unique style and this one checks off his quirks. 

1. Cast of a heck of a lot - Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, Owen Wilson,  Tilda Swinton, Timothee Chalamet, Adrian Brody, and more

2. Bright colors and vivid sets

3. Animation sequence

4. Words.  There are a lot of words spoken and many hilarious throwaway lines. The script is superb

5. Vignettes. He likes small stories  that all pull together  to one big theme. I like these small stories that feature so many great actors and so many little moments. 

I came home and  told Ray, "You would have hated this."  And that's okay. With a Wes Anderson film, you have to know what you are going in to see and you have to be in a mood for some wacky. 

That sums me up on a Sunday morning five dollar matinee. And there you go for some whimsy, quirky, and Wednesday whatever. 


4 comments:

  1. Hi Joanne - well that's a good thing Ray didn't join you! Sounds interesting and very good value ... I'm sure I'll get to see it sometime - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I don't think he would have had the patience. I'd have invited you if you lived closer!

      Delete
  2. I like small stories that add up to a large story. Easier to do in a book than a film I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. But Wes Anderson seems to have the touch for vignettes. Whimsical!

      Delete