Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Whatever Wednesday - Turner's Modern World

Always enlightening to pop into your local art museum and check out what's new. Currently at the Kimbell in Fort Worth - Turner's Modern World.  I learned the J.M.W. Turner (1775-1851) embraced his time and covered a lot of subjects. Themes of conflict, technology, social and political causes were addressed in his paintings and sketches. 

 exhibit brochure - As time passed, he employed increasingly luminous color and innovative brushwork. Turner's radical approach to paint and composition in his mature work shows the artist paying tribute to the transformed world of modern experience. 

I spent about an hour at the exhibit and came away even more impressed and entranced. His colors - skies, seas - are so distinctive. And indeed,  his brushwork gives texture and drama to any scene. I've always been a Turner fan and this show made for a fun Sunday afternoon. 

Art stirs the soul

8 comments:

  1. He does convey a lot with just simple shapes and colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and the huge canvases always awe me. Where did the artist start?

      Delete
  2. So glad to see you are continuing to share the Art World of the Kimbell with your readers. Thanks! And, as I've been reading off and on in the last 11 months or so...glad to see your book reviews, too. Good question on where did he START on those huge canvas'. Probably on the focus subject regardless of it's position in the picture. Turner was a master dramatic focus. Speaking of starting...I've attempted to start back blogging before 2021 ends and my blog disappears in the fog. Come see me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow - glad you are back. I'll find and support you

      Delete
  3. Hi Joanne - I've summarised Turner in some detail, as I thought he was so interesting ... post dated 19 November 2014 ... I won't put the link up ... but it's probably one of my better posts! It answers your question/s ... but excellent to see you enjoyed yours at the Kimbell. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I do remember you've posted on Turner and you always go in depth. Thanks

      Delete
  4. Conflict, technology, social and political causes...that sounds super relevant just now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed the man could live in these times and no doubt paint furiously

      Delete