Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Movie Review Madness - X-Men Apocalypse

X-Men: Apocalypse has had so-so  reviews from “real” critics. Me personally - I liked it.  For a Saturday cheap matinee, it was entertaining with good special effects, decent acting, and it moved along. I did not find myself looking at my watch or eager to edit this film down. Plenty of characters moved in and out of the story line and that kept my interest.

Synopsis
Worshiped as a god since the dawn of civilization, the immortal Apocalypse (Oscar Isaac) becomes the first and most powerful mutant. Awakening after thousands of years, he recruits the disheartened Magneto (Michael Fassbender) and other mutants to create a new world order. As the fate of the Earth hangs in the balance, Professor X (James McAvoy) and Raven (Jennifer Lawrence) lead a team of young X-Men to stop their seemingly invincible nemesis from destroying mankind.
Starring
James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Oscar Isaac, Nicholas Hoult, Rose Byrne, Olivia Munn, Evan Peters, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Sophie Turner, Tye Sheridan, Alexandra Shipp, Lucas Till, Josh Helman, Lana Condor, Ben Hardy

It does seem appropriate to mention that this film is applicable to the concept today of “why can’t we all get along?”  Yes, mutants have different skills and might look unique, but for the most part, they just want to get along and make the world better. So root for Professor X, Raven/Mystique, and the “good” crew to destroy the evil Apocalypse. Enjoy the battles and marvel at our speed demon who can stop time – Evan Peters. That special effect is awesome.  

All in all, this is a very entertaining popcorn movie and keeps the X-Men franchise moving along. There’s humor, drama, and yes a quick Wolverine appearance – hooray for a Hugh Jackman sighting. 

C’mon, you know you should see this on the big screen.  Enjoy and reflect on what mutant skill you’d like to have.


16 comments:

  1. Real critics just need to chill sometimes, don't they? I thought it was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun it was indeed. I still wish they'd go full comic book with the x-men though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not up on comic book stuff. I just like the actors and action

      Delete
  3. I've never seen any X-Men movies, but it sounds like a great one for those who are into those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter in law saw it; she really enjoyed it :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worth the price for air conditioning in AZ. Two hours to chill!

      Delete
  5. Glad you enjoyed it. Sometimes you just have to see a movie in spite of what the critics say, and make up your own mind about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure my sons will want to see this, or maybe they have already. I'm glad to hear you had a fun time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you liked it! It's not a genre that I would choose...I saw the very first XMen years ago and that was pretty good. As for reviews, I try not to listen to them much. There are movies they've hated that I loved (e.g., 'The Presidio') and movies they love that I hated (e.g., 'Austin Powers' and anything by Mel Brooks).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw it and liked it. I don't particularly care what critics say. It's a superhero movie, not Shakespeare.
    I DID have one niggling little complaint: if Apocalypse was so gosh-darned powerful, why didn't he just snuff everyone out immediately? But, then the movie would have lasted only ten minutes. There, I've answered my own question.
    Pass the popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad we can agree and yes, one must overlook plot or character holes. I'll share the popcorn but you have to get your own soda

      Delete