Thursday, June 9, 2016

Uber Adventures

photo courtesy of Dreamstock - by Leopolo.

In case anyone is interested, I am still in my boot after toe surgery. The pin is out (whew!), but I'm still healing. After two weeks of foot elevated with ice, I graduated in May to being able to go to work but no driving. Say what?  This is Texas. I work an hour away. And no, there's no public transportation. Are you crazy?

What to do?  Hitch a ride?  Fat chance and nobody I know was headed north and west to the "country".  So I gave Uber a whirl.  Quite an adventure.

It was rather easy to get a ride in the morning. There were plenty of Uber drivers circling the Mid-Cities (between Dallas and Fort Worth).  The majority had clean cars and were very professional. Two drivers were older hippie dudes - one a retired trucker, the other just floating through life. They had good senses of humor and were enjoying being Uber drivers. I had another fellow who was a college student. Uber was flexible for his schedule.  Another young fellow surprised me - He was a big fellow. Based on his accent,  I surmised he was from an African nation, but he was listening to a pop station when I got in the car. I would have not have guessed him keeping the beat to Meagan Trainor or Justin Bieber.

Everyone was surprised at the drive and how rural it was an hour away. I hope they left bread crumbs to get back to civilization.  Indeed, it was much harder to get a ride back home in the afternoon. One of my work guys had to drive me into "town" about 15-20 minutes in to even get an Uber signal. Then it was surge pricing due to lack of supply.

All in all, I survived the two weeks of depending on strangers. I spun the roulette ride wheel and was lucky.  Now I"m back in my own glorious blue Chevy Cruz. I am allowed to drive with a sandal, and then put on the boot at work. I can play my own station and music, I can pop the sun roof.

 I feel free....


19 comments:

  1. That must have been a pretty hefty expense with Uber for 2 weeks, but then I wonder how they assess prices. I know son was just remarking that he took a fellow employee home the other night because Uber was going to be $35 to $40 (about a 30 minute drive).

    Son and his friends have used Uber for when they go out partying. It is a great service, though I'm not sure I'd be comfortable driving with a stranger.

    Glad to hear you are driving again!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each way averaged about $33. I feel fortunate with who I got to drive me. I'm sure there are some odd ducks out there - my guess is more at night, not rush hour.

      Delete
  2. yes, the drive sucks. I work an hour west and my husband drives an hour east. That's not unusual in TX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing worse than relying on others for a ride. Glad your Uber experience was good. My nephew did it for a while in college.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the vehicles and drivers were cleaner than many a cab I've used (in NYC)

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of Uber. Actually, I'm beginning to think we should have it here. I own a car but I use it so infrequently that I wonder if it is worth having.

    @Kathleen01930 Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. in Texas, a car is a must. I wish we had a train - I'd have enjoyed the ride

      Delete
  5. Oh my. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to try Uber. I'm glad the experience was a good one for you. It does sound expensive though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joanne - that was inventive .. clever to give them a try - and it all worked. So glad your foot is healing, even if it's taking longer than expected.

    Take care - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. I admit I am ready to give the boot the boot - ready for summer fun.

      Delete
  7. You never realize how much you rely on your limbs till one is out of commission!!!! I hope you continue to heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks much. I plan on keeping things intact for years to come

      Delete
  8. Almost back to normal, awesome. I bet you're so happy to be driving again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've used Uber while traveling but it really is designed for urban areas. When we lived in Nashville, we could get a ride downtown for $5-$10 any time we wanted. We live 30 miles from Nashville now and there are very few drivers here...if we could find one, it would just be too expensive. It sucks to live in an area where you have to drive if you want to go anywhere! Glad to hear you're back to driving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my brother uses it at the Jersey Shore when they go bar hopping. Works great and is cheap then. Indeed - gotta have wheels in TX

      Delete
  10. Congrats on being behind the wheel again! It must have been a real drag having to counted on "the kindness of strangers." I was gonna say paying thirty-three bucks each way was awful, until I read your comment saying your boss paid for it. Woo HOO! It should make you feel pretty darned good that your boss placed that much value on having you in the office. :)

    Have a super weekend! We're expecting record high temperatures this weekend, so I may spend most of it appreciating the air conditioning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot and steamy here. Headed to the movies. Indeed my boss is generous ( and I am a good worker bee) Stay cool!

      Delete