Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Book Review - We Are All the Same in the Dark by Julia Heaberlin


 We Are All the Same in the Dark.  Julia Heaberlin knows how to write a mystery thriller. Your neck will hurt from the spins, twists, and turns. I was still sitting poolside as I read this book, and it was difficult to break from a chapter, take a dip in the pool, and then hurry back to continue. "Shall I keep sweating and reading, or swim?" Tough summer choices. 

Ten years ago Trumanell Branson disappeared. She haunts the small town. Wyatt, her brother, lives as a pariah. He was cleared and yet....

He finds a lost girl in a field of dandelions and the local young cop, Odette Tucker, believes the girl is a catalyst that will ignite a seething town still waiting for its own missing girl to come home. But Odette shares a wound that won't close with the mute, one-eyed mystery girl.  (back blurb)

Lots of shocking truths to dig up, lots of violent history to uncover. 

p. 221  We are all the same in the dark.  My mother said that to me when she kissed me good night. She meant that in the dark, all that's left is our souls. She wasn't imagining me in a hole with a killer, living out my worst fear. Totally blind. Floating in space. One eye just like the other. 

Whoa. 

9 comments:

  1. Hi Joanne - yes a 'Whoa' of a read by the sound of it ... as you mention tough summer choice - yet definitely one to read in daylight. Not for me - I think! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's very good writing and I've heard her speak at an author talk. Talented woman

      Delete
  2. Love the title Joanne, sounds like an excellent read.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A book so good you didn't choose the pool? That's awesome. I love the prolific title.

    Stay well and keep afloat, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, the pool has turned cool rather quickly. I'll have to read more my friend.

      Delete
  4. The title is fantastic - I'd pick that book on the basis of the title alone. Your recommendation seals it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd like this. Some psychological issues in this whole saga too.

      Delete
  5. One of the best decision i ever made was contacting Dr Otonokpo to help me get my lover back, I was life filled with happiness after i contacted Dr Otonokpo because he didn't just bring my lover back to me he also made our love for each other more unique and superb. If you need to spice your relationship with more love and attention contact Dr Otonokpo on his Email Address otonokpotemple@gmail.com, call/whatsapp him via his contact +2348114129781 and be happy just like i am, thanks Dr Otonokpo for your great work.

    ReplyDelete