Monday, September 27, 2021

Book Review - Lucky Bastard by Joe Buck


 If you've watched any football or World Series baseball, then you've probably seen sports broadcaster, Joe Buck. Some folks hate him. Me - I like him. In his memoir, Lucky Bastard, Joe acknowledges the naysayers, and with humility and humor, he tells his story. 

As the son of Jack Buck, the voice of the St. Louis Cardinals, Joe learned a lot as he sat in on broadcasts as a kid, played with baseball players' kids, and absorbed sports. Yes, he had a slight advantage with connections, but still had to start at the bottom and pay his dues. 

cover blurb - He recounts a lot of pretty damn entertaining mistakes along the way. He shares the lessons he learned from his father, the errors he made, the personal mountain he climbed and conquered, all of which have truly made him a Lucky Bastard.

This memoir is rather light and breezy. I like the writing and Joe Buck lays a lot out - a confession of insecurities, struggles, and a need to live up to his Dad, whom he admired the most in life. 

p. 224 I think Kate (Hudson) understands fame better than anybody. She told me once, "Americans love a good success story. They're just not sure what to do with the success story that comes out of a success story."  In those two sentences, she summed up one of the essential conflicts in my life. 


5 comments:

  1. Hi Joanne - not know much about baseball I'd have to pass; yet, of course, anyone who writes a Memoir story always has lots to tell ... and if they're down to earth ... lots to learn, as well as give us some ideas and thoughts to think on. Not for me - but can see the plus parts ... glad you enjoyed it ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes - this is more of an American niche kind of story. But I got the book for $1 and I figured Ray would be interested too.

      Delete
  2. This one sounds interesting, and he sounds quite perceptive. Nice. Glad you got lucky with Lucky Bastard, Joanne.

    Stay well, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - it was worth a buck to read about Joe Buck.
      Take care

      Delete
  3. One of the best decision i ever made was contacting Dr Otonokpo to help me get my lover back, I was life filled with happiness after i contacted Dr Otonokpo because he didn't just bring my lover back to me he also made our love for each other more unique and superb. If you need to spice your relationship with more love and attention contact Dr Otonokpo on his Email Address otonokpotemple@gmail.com, call/whatsapp him via his contact +2348114129781 and be happy just like i am, thanks Dr Otonokpo for your great work.

    ReplyDelete