Friday, September 10, 2021

Friday Frivolous Read - China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan


 China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan is a frothy ridiculous braindead book. Perfect patio poolside read for me. It is over the top snarky fun. The writing is good, the characters are rich in money and rich in ulterior motives, and the pacing is as fast as the jets these folks use from Singapore to Shanghai to Paris. Just zoom along with them and  don't ask questions. 

We met Rachel Chu in Crazy Rich Asians. She's a professor, has a down to earth single mother, and is getting ready to marry Nick (an extraordinarily rich fellow with an amazing Singapore lineage.) But he loved Rachel enough to move to California with her and forego a lot of the family fortune (don't worry, he's still rich, and he does work). 

back blurb - Then a chance accident reveals an identity and Rachel is drawn into the dizzying world of Shanghai splendor, a world of penthouses, exotic cars, and where people aren't just crazy rich...they're China rich.

This book is a sheer hoot. Perfect to end the summer - sip some bubbly and enjoy. 

4 comments:

  1. Always a good review from you Joanne. Loved this one.
    Have a good weekend.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep - I wanted to be as zippy on this one as the book is - just fun. Have a good weekend too

      Delete
  2. Hi Joanne - sounds ideal ... my sort of book I pick up when I'm somewhere and I need to read and the book is there. Definitely not the sort of book I'd buy ... but once in a while. Have a peaceful weekend - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it for 50 cents - so yes, I got my money's worth indeed. Plenty of laughs.

      Delete