Friday, June 5, 2015

Friday Night Dance

Had an email last week from my sister as she closes out another school year with eighth grade Jr.High kids. It cracked me up and I asked if I could share. So consider this a guest post courtesy of my younger sister who's been teaching over twenty years. - from last Friday night
 
 
Another dance checked off!  This one was very easy (as the last few have been).  I see that kids today want to take selfies and videos while jumping up and down. This doesn't leave many hands free for groping. There are no couples--girls dance with girls, black boys dance with black boys, and white boys run around with balloons or eat food. Line dances are universally popular and Michael Jackson is still a hit. 

  In fashion news, a colored dress shirt is a must. Lots of black with a bright tie (think red or purple) or Easter egg colored shirts with a black tie. Turquoise, pink, orange, etc. A few vests, bow ties, or suspenders. Pants are skinny right now (Is there a term "pegged" for that narrowing at the ankle?) 

  Girls are in frothy dresses with lots of layers and tulle. Colors like peach, champagne, pink, baby blue, mint green. Some look inspired by the Lupita Nyongo red carpet looks of the past few seasons. Only a few short, tight and trampy. Much more princess-y. 

 A good time was had by all. Previous generations used to get more sentimental and cry and hug at the end of the dance. I guess they had grown up together and some were going to Vo-tech or private schools for the first time. These kids are easy, breezy. Just grab their shoes and phones and head out into the night with a "see ya"! 

That's the news on the youth culture of 2015.

9 comments:

  1. Loved the white boys running around with balloons and food. In my day, they lined the very edge of the hall and pretended they weren't even there while all the girls danced in the middle convinced all the boys were watching them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. back in your day was about how way back in my day was, and I was never a good dancer

      Delete
  2. Probably not a shocker:
    White MEN will also eat food at dances.
    What's more, they'll drink beer instead of playing with balloons.
    Mmmmmmm.......beer............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my husband avoids dance situations at all cost. He actually likes balloons but not beer, and he likes food.
      Men are boys

      Delete
  3. Sounds like they had a fun time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun letter. I think girls have always danced with girls, rather than risk sprouting cobwebs while waiting for the boys to get up the courage to join the fun, but I don't remember ever seeing any boys dancing together when I was in school. The other boys your sister mentions, who were running around playing with balloons and stuffing their faces with food... universal.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep. It has evolved where things are more in a group and girls/girls, boys/boys all dancing is more of a mishmash.
      I remember jr high dance as torture. I remember all of jr high as torture. Glad I've moved on. Happy weekend

      Delete
  5. I'm just glad I wasn't at a Jr. High dance.

    ReplyDelete