Friday, June 19, 2015

Happy Father's Day Weekend

Here's Dad. Just spent a week in PA and had a very good time. He's undergoing some medical treatments - has five to go - and that's slowing him down. But at almost eighty-four, my Dad's a hoot.

My sister and I had a mission to spruce up bushes and beds (not the jungle in the back), and to clear any cobwebs (Dad - you gotta look up sometime), wash floors, and remove "junk".  Lori was brutal in the kitchen.

"Dad, do you know what this is?"
He hemmed and hawed. Bam - it was on the staging table for removal.
"Dad, do you plan on baking a Bundt cake anytime soon?"
Bam, out the door. The kitchen was the biggest area of cleanout since the man is the king of the deli and also microwaving. No need for a roasting drip pan. So, feel free to visit the Salvation Army on Rte. 309 - there is a fresh pile of kitchen goods.

Other than that, he keeps a nicely appointed home. No, we did not venture into the basement - that's for another day.

We laughed. We pretty much reconstructed the whole neighborhood - who lived in that house? Kids names. And stories galore. My brother joined in when he could - he had a paper route as a boy, and could name the good tippers.

I'm very fortunate. My Dad is just a good, kind man with a wicked sense of humor.

 I need to check the airlines and book a ticket for another visit....the basement awaits.

Happy Father's Day Weekend to all. Hope you visit your father now, or can reflect on good memories. Cheers!

18 comments:

  1. What a nice post! Sometime I look at our accumulation of "stuff" and think I better start purging or my daughter may not like me one day...but this exercise makes me hesitate. Well, a little, anyway! Your dad sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ultimately he could see what he really had in the cupboards and drawers. He conceded that we had done a good job. (but oh, the basement - that will take a week or two of work)

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this post about your Dad. Nice that you could work together as a family to help him out. I have lots of good memories about my Dad. Hope you have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. I'm already looking at airlines to book another trip up. This time - less work, more hang out

      Delete
  3. I'm sure your Dad really appreciated his early Father's Day present and especially to have all of you around him again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so. He said it would be awfully quiet once we left. I'm booking another trip up

      Delete
  4. Your dad sounds like a lovely man. I think I need you and your sister to be ruthless in my house next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a trip to Cornwall would be great. One problem - my sister doesn't like to fly.

      Delete
  5. Glad you had a good time and cleared out some junk. If he's not using it, chuck it. Looks like he's doing really well for his age. We could all be that blessed, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Father's Day to your dad and all men who's influenced your life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure your dad enjoyed your visit and appreciated what you did. Nice to take a tour round your old neighbourhood as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he doesn't ask for much, but yes I think he was pleased

      Delete
  8. It's nice that you and your siblings were able to clean out your dad's cupboards, and donate so many items in the process. Hope the rest of your dad's treatments go well.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know...I know EXACTLY where that Salvation Army is. It's about fifteen minutes from the house.
    Come to think of it, I COULD use a roasting drip pan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. or you could plan to bake a Bundt cake. I kept the Phillies freezer mug for my husband - ha

      Delete