Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Movie Review Madness - Tenet


 Movie Review Madness presents Tenet.     

WTF?   What just happened?   Ray - any clue?  What did we just see?

Safe movie going on Friday 4:30 show - we had the theater to ourselves. Wore masks. Truly no one peeked in. 

Director Christopher Nolan makes mind bending movies (Memento, Inception). I was prepared to be challenged and wasn't sleepy, etc.   I like John David Washington and he was good as the Protagonist. Robert Pattinson - the Brit sidekick spy - also good. Kenneth Branagh doing his best evil Russian accent as the evil rich dude ready to end the world - also decent. Elizabeth Debicki- pretty. 

The opening sequence at an opera house is a barrage of images - a terrorist assault, forward, backward, bullet reversals in time, then cars passing each other in time. The movie moves on and sometimes we're in the past, then present, then future? Each time, there's a goal and maybe an occurrence to change the path of ultimate world destruction. plus jargon about refractions, inflections, blah blah blah time travel..? I tried to keep track, I truly did. But, then it became too much and I checked my watch. 

The Dallas paper gave the movie an A. The New Yorker critic was not as enamored and one paragraph stood out and I agreed - the movie lacks that little bit of heart to make you care. I didn't care enough about these people and I kept wanting to, but nothing clicked. 

Time: 2-1/2 hours of our lives gone.  What just happened on that big screen?


8 comments:

  1. I've heard it lacks joy, which also makes it difficult to care. I'm still eager to see it although it's still not looking good for theaters around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if and when you see it, I'll be interested in your reaction. I really wanted to like it, but have to say "Nope."

      Delete
  2. Hi Joanne - it's been on my cards ... but whether I'll get to see it or not is another matter - probably mind over covid decisions ... and I could go. We shall see ... interesting review and comments - thank you ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad to help. I'd stay safe and wait for something much better to come along in the theater. Take care

      Delete
  3. I find he plays with the same theme over and over and now they are getting a little flat. Not sure I'll like it but I may watch it one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am saving you much time in your life - don't bother. Truly. I am saving you my friend.

      Delete
  4. Can you come to my blog and check it out please? StateSplash-MakylaFaries thanks!

    ReplyDelete