Friday, June 2, 2023

Finally Friday

John Grisham has a sweeping saga in The Boys From Biloxi. Boyhood friends, Keith and Hugh, bond on baseball fields and become adversaries as adults. 

Biloxi is known for beaches, resorts, and seafood. On a darker front, the Dixie Mafia controlled gambling, prostitution, drugs, and more.  Keith's father Jesse Rudy embarks on a law career that leads him up the ranks to District Attorney. His vow to clean up the Coast is a pain in Hugh's father, Lance's, backside. Lance Malco is a formidable crime boss and Hugh follows in his dad's footsteps. Keith adores his father and follows the law path. 

As adults, after a horrific crime, Hugh and Keith meet in a courtroom for a shocking showdown. 

This story has good bones, but I found it easy to put down. It was written rather passively and did not engage me. I did get The Boys From Biloxi from the library and was glad I had not paid for it. Sorry, Mr. Grisham. I wish you had told the story with more animated dialogue and passion. 
 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds a great book Joanne. Yes it is me but have just learned I have cataracts in both eyes.
    waiting for treatmend but hope to pop on line from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey you! Glad you popped in. I had cataracts removed a few years ago. No pain. And I can see!! Good luck. Hope they fix you soon. Take care

      Delete
  2. Haven't read Grisham in a while. Thanks for letting me know not to buy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be of service on this one. He’s still a good author.

      Delete