Monday, January 22, 2024

Monday Moments - Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann


cover blurb:   It is August 1974 and a tightrope walker is running, dancing, leaping between towers. In the streets below, a slew of ordinary lives become extraordinary in Colum McCann's stunning portrait of a city and its people, connected in ways they don't even know. 

Let the Great World Spin captures the spirit of America in a time of transition, extraordinary promise, and, in hindsight, heartbreaking innocence - awakening in us a sense of what the novel can achieve, confront, and even heal. 

Very good writing. Interesting characters. I enjoyed some storylines. Others -  I was able to put down  the book a bit before returning. I found the flow a bit choppy, but ultimately got my reading rhythm. The author definitely captured New York City - the underbelly, the different boroughs, the toughness and vulnerability of its citizens. 

Indeed - the book has a sad innocence when one  reflects on the Twin  Towers that stood tall for so long and tempted Phillipe Petit to  tiptoe across his wire.

And the world does keep spinning, seemingly no matter what occurs. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joanne - I did see both twin towers in 1976 but the thought of tightrope walking any higher than two foot off the ground (!!) no thanks. Sounds an interesting read - one that I won't get to ... but thanks for the introduction - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book was lent to me and worth my time. Not at top of my lists, though. Happy Monday to you.

      Delete