Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Whatever Wednesday - Memory Map


 I enjoyed a Sunday stroll at the Modern Museum of Fort Worth for a retrospective of Jaune Quick-to-See Smith: Memory Map. She is a citizen of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Nation.  Five decades of drawings, prints, paintings, and sculpture are fascinating to see. Abstract concepts pull together with satire and humor to tell stories of the Native ideology. She questions why "certain  visual languages attain  recognition, historical privilege, and value." (brochure). 

She has been active in issues and pressing dialogue through art on land, racism, and cultural preservation. (brochure). 

I was in awe as I studied her work. Her brain must never stop. Her work is deep and pulls in  from all styles. I watched a short film and appreciated her history and her eagerness to embrace the land to learn and grow her culture. Very impressive exhibit and I was happy to learn about this artist and her stunning body of work. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joanne - that must have been fascinating to see ... the mention of the Salish - took me back to Canada - where of course they also lived - coastal peoples.

    Also you've sent me off on a quest about the Continental Divides/Hydrological Divides and reminded me about the books I was given in Canada on anthropology of the Salish coast ... noted in my post of 18 July 2028.

    A lot of work ahead for me ... though the exhibition sounds really enticing - lucky you - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think of you as I stroll museums. We would have fun. And glad I could prompt so many rabbit holes to explore. Enjoy.

      Delete